patterns-discussion - Re: AW: [patterns-discussion] Alexander's ideas

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: AW: [patterns-discussion] Alexander's ideas

  • From: Jacek Sokulski <jaceks AT software.com.pl>
  • To: Till Schümmer <till.schuemmer AT fernuni-hagen.de>, Patterns Discussion <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: AW: [patterns-discussion] Alexander's ideas
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:32:17 +0100

Hi Till,
thanks for the e-mail. I have briefly read the paper. It seems it is
closer to what I ma looking for.

I am not sure if it will make more clear the context of my question, but
here are some reasons why I am interested in Alexander works:
- understanding of what are we rely doing in software and why so much of
our work is flawed. Alexander's deep insight in the development and
essence of good things I've found very inspiring
- the need for a new software development process, all the processes I
know seems to be missing something very essential. Maybe it is not
appreciating fully the human side of the process (even in agile methods)
and real human capabilities. I remember in my career few short moments
of what can be called "frictionless flow" when the mind is absolutely
clear and the work is done almost perfectly and defect free without any
effort. Maybe it has more to do with Maslow's peak experiences than
regular software development, but the experiences Alexander and other
people have using his development method seems to be similar.
- human side of our work, so the process that develops not only software
but also people (I mean human development not only professional
development)

One of the projects I want to do is to try to invent software
development process that deeply mirrors the process Alexander describes
for buildings. But to do this I need to understand better Alexander's
work, and its connections with software engineering.

All the best
Jacek