patterns-discussion - RE : [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation

Subject: General talk about software patterns

RE : [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation

  • From: "Christophe Addinquy" <Christophe.Addinquy AT valtech.fr>
  • To: "Ralph Malph" <ralph_malph AT yahoo.com>, <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE : [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:52:39 +0200

Hi Ralph,

You've already received construtive answers, I think. I will try to add a
little bit, if possible...

I will split my answer in 2 parts:
1) can we use DP without dynamic memory allocation ?
2) Is the pattern approach something useful in your case ?

1) obviously, DP isn't about dynamic memory allocation, but make an extensive
use of this facility. For the patterns that use stateless objects (the
strategy, for example), it should be quite straightforward to move to an
implementation based on static shared object. For the other ones, it's
probably more challenging. But, if you reach it, you have the meat for a good
paper ;)

2) Don't forget that implementation, in the DP is just an example ! The
important things, in the DP are:
a) The DP is a solution to a problem in a given context
b) The solution should be regarded as the "essence of the solution". The
concrete solutions are possibles variations around this "essence".

Look also outside the GoF book, you may find things interesting for you.
James Noble & Charles Weir have written "patterns for small memory software"
which target embedded devices like PDA, cell phones, etc... You may find this
material suitable for you.

Regards,

Christophe Addinquy