patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] Pattern Definitions

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] Pattern Definitions

  • From: Al Boldi <a1426z AT gawab.com>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] Pattern Definitions
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 19:35:16 +0300

Greetings!

I am new to patterns, and after reviewing some definitions, I would like to
suggest another way of expressing the pattern definition:

A pattern is the abstraction of a context problem to yield a general
solution.

Or in other words:
A pattern is the act of arriving from a specific situation to a general
solution by abstracting its problem.

Or in other words:
A specific situation has a problem, abstracting this problem yields a general
solution, while the act of arriving from the specific situation to a general
solution is called a pattern.

Is this a correct interpretation?

Thanks!

--