patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] Relationship between pattern types and software evolution

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] Relationship between pattern types and software evolution

  • From: "Dragos Manolescu" <dmanoles AT gmail.com>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] Relationship between pattern types and software evolution
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:56:38 -0700

Are there any studies that focus on how do the types of patterns used in software systems change as these systems mature? My intuition tells me that in general (i.e., regrdless of problem domain and/or programming language) new, immature systems tend to employ more creational patterns than behavioral patterns. However as the abstractions crystallize the number of behavioral patterns should increase. I could be wrong so that's why I'm asking whether anybody performed this type of analysis.

Thanks,

-Dragos