patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] Survey on the impact of design patterns on quality!

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] Survey on the impact of design patterns on quality!

  • From: "Khomh Foutse" <foutse AT gmail.com>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] Survey on the impact of design patterns on quality!
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:23:42 -0700

Hello Everyone,

I am a PhD student studying  the impact of design patterns on the quality of programs. One of my long-term objectives is to identify when there is a need to refactor software, but to start off, I'm conducting a survey on the influence of design patterns from the GoF on different dimensions of software maintenance.

 The aim of this survey is to  discuss about the difference between the theory on the usefulness of design patterns and their concrete perception by developers..

From the  first feedbacks I already got from the respondents, I can say that the results are very surprising, the assumption that design patterns are "goods"  appears to be debatable.

That's why  I really need to collect more opinions about these patterns. I  wish you can give me a hand by filling in the survey.

The survey sheet is available at:
http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~foutsekh/Sheet.pdf
It may take some few minutes to load....
To return the survey please just click the button on the first page after completing the survey!

The survey is completely anonymous!

Thank you very much for your help, all your comments are welcome.

Foutse.