patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] variably determinate information

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] variably determinate information

  • From: Donald McLean <dmclean AT stsci.edu>
  • To: Patterns Discussion <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] variably determinate information
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:34:56 -0400

I'm working on an application that will be storing family history information.

Some of the data is precise and well known (such as my birthday), and some is not. For example, a precise month and day may be known, but not necessarily the precise year.

Is anyone aware of any library or libraries that support the encoding of
information with different levels of determinateness? Is anyone aware of any research into the representation and/or encoding of such information?

Time (dates and intervals) are one of the types of data involved and I am working on getting (and then digesting) Martin Fowler's Analysis Patterns as well as several works referenced by him (i.e. Snodgrass) for insight into that part of the general problem but if anyone knows of any other relevant references, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you,

Donald McLean

  • [patterns-discussion] variably determinate information, Donald McLean, 05/29/2007