patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern recommendation

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern recommendation

  • From: <win_ash12 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: David Pokluda <David.Pokluda AT microsoft.com>, "patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu" <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern recommendation
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:47:49 -0800 (PST)

Thanks David for your prompt response. I presume after refactoring the code for readability then the next step would be to introduce the State Design pattern for conditionals such as the one I have ?
Regards,
Aswin.

David Pokluda <David.Pokluda AT microsoft.com> wrote:
This code is totally unreadable. Whenever I have a complex condition that is hard to use I try at least ExtractMethod refactoring (http://www.refactoring.com/catalog/extractMethod.html) so that I can at least read the code. You can further improve readability with ReverseConditional refactoring (http://www.refactoring.com/catalog/reverseConditional.html). You can also take a look at http://www.refactoring.com/catalog/consolidateConditionalExpression.html.

David.