patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] Reminder: Web 2.0 pattern mining workshop deadline 10 days away

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] Reminder: Web 2.0 pattern mining workshop deadline 10 days away

  • From: Dragos Manolescu <dmanoles AT gmail.com>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] Reminder: Web 2.0 pattern mining workshop deadline 10 days away
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:29:03 -0700

A quick reminder about the forthcoming Web 2.0 pattern mining workshop at TOOLS-Europe in Zurich, Switzerland.

*Background*
Tim O'Reilly defined Web 2.0 in terms of several design patterns (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is- web-20.html). While today there's no general consensus on what Web 2.0 really is, most agree that since Tim coined the term many new systems exhibiting Web 2.0 traits have emerged (e.g, Popfly, Pownce, SlideShare, FriendFeed, Reddit, and so forth). The Web 2.0 pattern mining workshop aims at extracting new patterns from this post-flickr/ Wikipedia/Amazon.com crop. Consequently we're interested in participants who have either studied these systems carefully or built like-systems.

*Status*
Following our taking the Call for Participation online (http:// labs.live.com/Web+20+Pattern+Mining+Workshop.aspx) many folks expressed interest in participating, and some even submitted proposals. Here are some of the highlights:
- Michael Mahemoff, author of AJAX Design Patterns (http:// www.amazon.com/Ajax-Design-Patterns-Michael-Mahemoff/dp/0596101805)
- Duane Nickull, co-author of the forthcoming Web 2.0 Patterns (http://www.amazon.com/Web-2-0-Patterns-entrepreneurs-information/dp/ 0596514433)
- Dion Hinchcliffe, co-author of the forthcoming Web 2.0 Patterns (http://www.amazon.com/Web-2-0-Patterns-entrepreneurs-information/dp/ 0596514433)

Michael will also give a keynote (title TBA).

*Interested?*
Are you interested in leaving your fingerprints on the new wave of Web 2.0 patterns? If so please consider submitting a brief proposal by the May 5 deadline. Putting together a proposal shouldn't take long. We're looking for something along the following lines:

- Here's a system I built/am very familiar with and could talk about;
- Here are some of the common Web 2.0ish problems that this system addresses;
- Systems x, y and z also tackle these problems so there is patterns potential.

Feel free to forward to others who may be interested in joining us.

Thanks,

-Dragos

  • [patterns-discussion] Reminder: Web 2.0 pattern mining workshop deadline 10 days away, Dragos Manolescu, 04/23/2008