patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] PLoP2010 Paper - Messaging Design Pattern (MDP) and Pattern Implementation

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] PLoP2010 Paper - Messaging Design Pattern (MDP) and Pattern Implementation

  • From: Messaging Design Pattern <dsheppard2k AT yahoo.com>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu, gang_of_4_list <gang-of-4-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu>, TelePLoP List <telecom-patterns AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] PLoP2010 Paper - Messaging Design Pattern (MDP) and Pattern Implementation
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

Dear list and conference members,

I hope that my earlier message helped clarified some of the points raised regarding the Messaging Design Pattern (Concrete examples, MDP
application in distributed Models/systems, code/implementation examples, etc).

I'm glad that the main aspects of the MDP/messaging concept were conveyed. There are several points where we are in complete agreement:

a) MDP improves decoupling, flexibility and encapsulation
b) Messaging is not encapsulation. They are different ideas. MDP only claims that messaging improve encapsulation:

"The messaging design pattern allows the interchange of information (i.e. messages) between components and applications. It improves decoupling, encapsulation and reusability by separating component communication from component functionality."

c) MDP works well for larger components.  I also can provide examples that show that MDP can be used for components of all sizes. For instance
ALL the components of the Jt design pattern framework use MDP.  It is not difficult at all. It presents all the advantages discussed in both papers. However it requires a shift in terms of thinking (geared towards independent components communicating via messaging).
d) The name messaging is often confused with other concepts and technologies (JMS, etc). Some people like the name. They have posted their comments to the mailing list. We thought about finding a better name. On the other hand, MDP is about messaging and transference/interchange of information.
e) I like the comment related to the application of MDP to update components in 24/7 systems.  We didn't think of it. If possible, I plan to include it in future revisions of the pattern.
f) The paper doesn't contain a lot of implementation details.  It is not the main focus of the paper. Some references are provided:The Jt design Pattern framework  should cover many of the implementation related questions. It is a complete implementation of MDP. The second paper (Messaging Design Pattern and a distributed Component/Service Model) includes some implementation related aspects:

https://jt.dev.java.net/files/documents/5553/149793/MDPdistributedModel.pdf

I plan to provide answers to the other points/comments that have being raised.

Regards,