patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions

  • From: phillip henry <ph1ll1phenry AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Messaging Design Pattern <dsheppard2k AT yahoo.com>, Christian Köppe <christian.koppe AT hu.nl>
  • Cc: "patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu" <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:44:11 +0000 (GMT)

NB Apologies for multiple posting. Previous message was too large.

Hi, Al,

I'm still not convinced that we cannot "view these concepts in terms of drawbacks and trade-offs".

Allow me to introduce an argument of reductio ad absurdum. If it is "difficult to find problems/trade-offs" with what you call the MDP, should not all our code look like:

public Object doSomething(Object object) { ... }
public Object doSomethingElse(Object object) { ... }
public Object doSomethingDifferent(Object object) { ... }

or similar? That is, at what point do we say a collection of methods taking an object and returning an object is not sufficient to describe our system?

Phill