patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions

  • From: Al Boldi <a1426z AT gawab.com>
  • To: Messaging Design Pattern <dsheppard2k AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] MDP feasibility questions
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:38:59 +0300

Messaging Design Pattern wrote:
> The particular point in discussion
> was whether or not messaging needs to be part of the software model:

As far as I can see, Messaging is already part of the software model.

It has been part of the software model for a very long time.

Windows is based on messaging.

All the new Linux desktops are now messaging based, i.e. dbus.

Mind you, when they switched to a messaging based model we got a noticeable
performance hit.

So, I am not sure what your objective is now?

If your objective is to convince people that messaging is part of reality and
that software should mimic this reality, then I think you are wasting your
time because people already know this.

OTOH, if your objective is to define a set of best practices to achieve a
successful implementation of a messaging sub-system, then I think that your
efforts are worthwhile and much appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Al