patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Newbie question: how to run a patterns writing workshop

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Newbie question: how to run a patterns writing workshop

  • From: "Richard P. Gabriel" <rpg AT dreamsongs.com>
  • To: "Desilets, Alain" <Alain.Desilets AT nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
  • Cc: "patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu" <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Newbie question: how to run a patterns writing workshop
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:15:56 -0800

I don't believe a writers' workshop is the right format for what you plan.
Later once the proto-patterns are written down and worked over, then a
writers' workshop can help the folks make sure they are usable by a lot of
different users / people. Jim Coplien wrote a nice pattern language for
writers' workshops (which I introduced to the PLoP world), and my book
(http://dreamsongs.com/Books.html - pdf available there) talks about using
them for lots of things from literature to software to presentations to
conferences etc. But it's a big book.

When you get your group together, you should sprinkle in about 10%
experienced pattern writers so that what gets written down is not silly. Jim
Coplien (again) has done a process trying to accomplish something like you
are last Spring in Sweden. It involved a lot of preparation and early writing
along with coaching by himself and Neil Harrison. The results are ok but will
get better. You should chat with him.

It might be ok to couch some things as anti-patterns as part of gathering
information, but later you should fold those into forces and other tradeoff
discussions in regular patterns.

-rpg-