patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] Fw: RE: MDP feasibility questions (Semantic Coupling)

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] Fw: RE: MDP feasibility questions (Semantic Coupling)

  • From: Messaging Design Pattern <dsheppard2k AT yahoo.com>
  • To: phillip henry <ph1ll1phenry AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] Fw: RE: MDP feasibility questions (Semantic Coupling)
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:31:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi Phill,

I sent an email covering the semantic coupling question. I've attached my reply.
In summary:

1) Semantic coupling has been mentioned as "potential" criticism of SOA
technologies. This not limited to MDP. Notice the word potential.
2) Based on the reasons exposed in my earlier email, I not sure "semantic coupling" is a real issue/problem. Based on quick observation, I cannot find any communication mechanism that doesn't require semantic coupling. Semantic coupling seems to be escential  for communication to happen.
3) Semantic coupling is not a part of the scope of the original MDP papers.

My earlier reply should provide additional details. I not sure I have much more to add to the topic of semantic coupling. The only additional aspect may be the fact that procedure/function calls also require semantic coupling. For instance the function (or RPC) component.function (x,y,z). For this to work, both components need to agree on the semantic of the function call and the parameters (not only the syntax). The traditional approach also requires semantic coupling which doesn't surprise me.

Please feel free to send additional information about semantic coupling directly to the email (papers, references, etc). Sources that can be checked online. In terms of the MDP discussion, it is better if we stay on topic based on the MDP papers (content, scope, etc). Also, I don't expect us to agree on everything. The semantic coupling idea may be an area where we may have to agree to disagree. I'll get to your other questions shortly.

As I mention earlier, I'm asking people to send questions with as much detailed as possible based on the scope of covered by MDP papers. So far, I have received very good questions and comments. Obviously, "thoughtful" messaging goes without saying.

Regards,

Al