patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Fw: RE: MDP feasibility questions (processMessage)

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Fw: RE: MDP feasibility questions (processMessage)

  • From: Al Boldi <a1426z AT gawab.com>
  • To: Messaging Design Pattern <dsheppard2k AT yahoo.com>, phillip henry <ph1ll1phenry AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Fw: RE: MDP feasibility questions (processMessage)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:25:23 +0300

Messaging Design Pattern wrote:
> As a point of information, a messaging queue is not needed unless we are
> dealing with asynchronous messaging and/or multithreading. We haven't
> discussed this so far. The versioning example only discusses synchronous
> communication (no message queue required). processMessage (message) is the
> only API/functionality required.

In the absence of a messaging queue, your MDP becomes a mere PROXY Pattern.

If your aim is only to de-couple systems, then there are a few other patterns
already available to aid in this respect.

By definition, messaging is asynchronous, and to put it in your words:
"In REALITY the message you are reading right now has been delivered to you
through many messaging queues, and to mirror this REALITY we use the MDP."

So when you start to strip the MDP from its core functionality, which is
message queuing for the sake of message management, you get the sub-patterns
that make-up the MDP, i.e.: processMessage(message) is not the MDP, it's a
sub-pattern, a PROXY Pattern in this case.

Also, the mere fact that you are sending a message does not constitute
messaging, or else any function parameter could be construed as messaging.

I think a clarification on your part would be advisable.

Thanks!

--
Al