patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Cultural Dependencies and the YOU form.

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Cultural Dependencies and the YOU form.

  • From: Ron Goldman <rgoldman AT cs.stanford.edu>
  • To: Joseph Bergin <jbergin AT pace.edu>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Cultural Dependencies and the YOU form.
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:11:24 -0800

On Feb 19, 2013, at 6:12 AM, Joseph Bergin wrote:
> I've also suggested that the solution be stated strongly in an imperative
> form.

Joe,

Regarding the "imperative form" part, I just ran across this last week:

"Also, the <i>descriptions</i> that comment completed work are better guides
for <i>new</i> work than prescriptive instructions. We've found that
sequential descriptions, in an order reflecting the emergence of a coherent
whole, <i>are more generative than instructions.</i> The reasons for this
have to do with our natural ability to make coherent things, but it's enough
for now to say that descriptions are simply more evocative and less
restrictive than prescriptions."

This is describing some work done back in 1997 on writing sequences by
Christopher Alexander & Greg Bryant.

[quote taken from:
http://www.gregbryant.com/grogbrat/aspen97/RANDP2.html

for larger context see:
http://www.gregbryant.com/grogbrat/aspen97/index.html ]

"Imperative" strikes me as generally being prescriptive. Though I just looked
ata couple of patterns in APL and they certainly seemed to express the
"Therefore" part very prescriptively, e.g. in 221 Natural Doors and Windows:

"On no account use standard doors or windows. Make each window a different
size, according to its place."

So maybe his work after APL caused Alexander to change his mind on this.

-- Ron --

p.s. Great to see some actual discussion on this mailing list!