patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Pattern Theory

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Pattern Theory

  • From: Jens Dietrich <j.b.dietrich AT massey.ac.nz>
  • To: Jake Miller <revolution AT gmail.com>, patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Pattern Theory
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:43:58 +1200

Hi Jake,

There is a lot of research on design pattern formalisation, often in the
context of tools to find pattern instances in programs. A (not up to date)
summary can be found in this book:

Toufik Taibi (editor): Design Pattern Formalization Techniques. Idea Group
Inc., 2007.

We have used description logic (OWL) to formally describe design patterns,
for details see:

Dietrich, J., Elgar, C.: Towards a Web of Patterns. Journal of Web Semantics,
Volume 5 , Issue 2 (June 2007), pp 108-116.
Dietrich, J., Elgar, C.: A formal Description of Design Patterns using OWL.
Proceedings of the 16th Australian Conference on Software Engineering
(ASWEC2005), IEEE Computer Society, 2005.
Dietrich, J., Jones, N., Wright, J.: Using Social Networking and Semantic Web
Technology in Software Engineering - Use Cases, Patterns, and a Case Study.
Extended version of the ASWEC2007 paper, Journal for Systems and Software
(JSS). Volume 81, Issue 12 (December 2008), pp 2183-2193, 2008.

check also Amnon Eden's work
(http://www.essex.ac.uk/csee/staff/profile.aspx?ID=1566).

Cheers, Jens

On 25/04/2013, at 7:22 AM, Jake Miller