patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] interesting short interview with Christopher Alexander

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] interesting short interview with Christopher Alexander

  • From: Ron Goldman <rgoldman AT cs.stanford.edu>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] interesting short interview with Christopher Alexander
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:24:59 -0800

Just ran across this short interview with Christopher Alexander on youtube
where he talks about the use of feeling in his work at the University of
Oregon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V4QYC-PRIw

Thought folks on this list might appreciate it.

-- Ron --

p.s. Greg also has a website, www.urbanology.com, to aid in community
development using ideas he developed with Alexander.

youtube description:

To create and maintain good places, buildings, and neighborhoods, we must
admit the explicit use of _feeling_ when we decide whether some proposal is
in harmony with the good things that already exist. This video is from a talk
between 'A Pattern Language' author Christopher Alexander, and Urbanology.com
founder Greg Bryant, recorded in Berkeley on January 6, 1994 by filmmaker
David Heine.

and a comment from the interviewer:

Greg Bryant via Google+

In 1993, I had some questions I needed to ask Christopher Alexander about the
Oregon Experiment, which he began in 1970 at the University of Oregon, and
with which he had recently become involved again. One question: the nature of
the criteria used to diagnose a place ...

  • [patterns-discussion] interesting short interview with Christopher Alexander, Ron Goldman, 02/21/2015