patterns-discussion - [[patterns-discussion] ] One pattern is objectively more coherent than another

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[[patterns-discussion] ] One pattern is objectively more coherent than another

  • From: Bin Jiang <bin.jiang AT hig.se>
  • To: <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [[patterns-discussion] ] One pattern is objectively more coherent than another
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 22:36:41 +0100
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Dear colleagues,

Relying on the topological representation I developed earlier https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305638074_A_Topological_Representation_for_Taking_Cities_as_a_Coherent_Whole

I showed and explained why the left pattern is objectively more coherent than the right.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312332540_Geographic_Space_as_a_Living_Structure_for_Predicting_Human_Activities_Using_Big_Data

Essentially both patterns have the same degree of differentiation, but the dots in the left are more adapted to each other than the right. One can simply derive the underlying Voronoi diagrams to see the difference of adaptation between the right and right. I believe that this kind of structural coherence or structural beauty applies to programming structure as well. All algorithmic structure (consisting of many if... then, while... end, for ... end)  bears such a nested or living structure with far more small things than large ones. Then one can compare which is more living or more whole or more coherent than another. I wonder if this comment makes sense to you. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks and cheers.

Bin

PS: this idea pops up while watching Alexander's keynote to the 1996 OOPSLA Convention

Bin Jiang
Division of GIScience
Faculty of Engineering and Sustainable Development
University of Gävle, SE-801 76 Gävle, Sweden
Phone: +46-26-64 8901    Fax: +46-26-64 8758
Email: bin.jiang AT hig.se  Web: http://fromto.hig.se/~bjg/
Associate Editor: Cartographica

BinsArXiv: http://arxiv.org/a/jiang_b_1
Axwoman: http://fromto.hig.se/~bjg/axwoman/
Geomatics: http://fromto.hig.se/~bjg/geomaticsprogram/
RG: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bin_Jiang3
Högskolan i Gävle

Högskolan i Gävle, 801 76 Gävle • 026 64 85 00 • www.hig.se

För en hållbar livsmiljö för människan

University of Gävle, SE-801 76 Gävle, Sweden • +46 (0) 26 64 85 00 • www.hig.se

PNG image

  • [[patterns-discussion] ] One pattern is objectively more coherent than another, Bin Jiang, 02/04/2017