patterns-discussion - [[patterns-discussion] ] PUARL International Conference 2018 : "MIGRATION, REFUGEES, AND PATTERNS"

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[[patterns-discussion] ] PUARL International Conference 2018 : "MIGRATION, REFUGEES, AND PATTERNS"

  • From: <puarl AT uoregon.edu>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT lists.cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: [[patterns-discussion] ] PUARL International Conference 2018 : "MIGRATION, REFUGEES, AND PATTERNS"
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 02:58:03 -0600

Dear All,

PUARL International Conference 2018 : "MIGRATION, REFUGEES, AND PATTERNS"
Portland, Oregon, USA
Friday October 26 – Sunday, October 28, 2018
Combined PUARL and PLoP: Wednesday 24 – Sunday 28
https://blogs.uoregon.edu/puarl2018/
https://refugee.uoregon.edu/

Introduction
After the successful completion of the PUARL Regenerative City 2016
International Conference in San Francisco
(https://blogs.uoregon.edu/puarl2016/) and the latest associated PURPLSOC
World Conference in Austria, Europe in the Fall of 2017
(http://www.purplsoc.org/conference2017/) we are in the process of preparing
The Ten Year Anniversary PUARL Conference for Fall 2018 in Portland, Oregon.
We arehappy to announce that our PUARL symposia and conferences are in their
tenth year of existence, and therefore, we intend to conduct a very special
conference, including international, invited guests and a variety of events.

Furthermore, in this conference, we will address and explore an extremely
important and highly critical topic of our times, that is, the ever-increasing
refugee crises in the world, caused by war, terrorism, ethnic cleansing,
political nationalism, ever increasing population, resource distribution in
the world, and climate change. Therefore the title of this year’s conference
appropriately reads: MIGRATION, REFUGEES, AND PATTERNS.

The PUARL Conferences provide a forum for researchers and practitioners from a
variety of fields, as well as for a broader public, to come together to
present and discuss areas of research and application in:

- Architecture, Urbanism, and Regional Development
- Design, Media, Arts, and Information Technology
- Pedagogy, Education, and Learning
- Social Activism, Social Innovation, and Grassroots Movements
- Everyday Applications and Specific Interest

These varied disciplines and their cooperation together are held together by
the belief in the improvement of society and the environment through research
in and application of the methodology of patterns and pattern language as a
way of improving buildings, the urban structure and the environment, as well
as creating positive societal change and, in general, opening up new ways of
humanizing the world.

We therefore intend to add up to one additional day to the exploration
andadvancement of pattern language development between the different
disciplines, with the intention to find more common ground and development for
the future. One special event of this kind is the parallel conference of the
Pattern Language of Programs (PLoP) (http://www.hillside.net/plop/2018/) with
overlapping keynotes and sessions at the University of Oregon in Portland.

MIGRATION, REFUGEES, AND PATTERNS
This year we are looking at the large emerging problem of forced migration,
refugees, place and displacement, and arrival city and country. The United
Nations estimates that there are about 250 million migrants in the world, of
which more than 65 million people are refugees (United Nations, 2015). This
means that one in every 113 people alive today are now displaced by war,
violence, and persecution (UNHCR, 2017). In Europe, refugee arrivals continue
at crisis levels, particularly in Germany, where more than 435,000 asylum
seekers arrived in the first half of 2016 alone (UNHCR, 2016). These forced
migrants joined the nearly one million earlier arrivals to Germany in 2015,
most still in limbo awaiting asylum approval or appeals. In the United States
and in an ever-growing number of countries, migration issues are divisive and
at the fore of public debate and protest. How the world responds to this
global crisis will arguably impact the trajectory of peace and well-being on
this planet for generations to come.

Patterns and Pattern Languages
We are looking at Patterns and Pattern Languages as a unifying method and
approach in our various fields and interdisciplinary work, research, design,
and creative work. Patterns and pattern languages are viewed as a potential
vehicle of improvement and change, opening up new ways of forming frameworks
and particular solutions to big problems that we face in today’s world. This
approach is first understood as a direct application to the migration and
refugee main topic in various keynotes and research paper presentations in
this conference.

Second, the pattern language approach itself is under development and
investigation in various disciplines and professions, including technically,
digitally, and also how well it can connect these different disciplines in
various ways with its methodology. But in this conference we want to take some
time and look in to its larger philosophical potential and its root of
practical and pragmatic idealism and ethos to actually help to solve larger
problems in the world. As Wolfgang Stark would put it, “Now we know that we
all work with patterns; next we would like to know what we can do with this
knowledge together.” Here we will investigate this potential with a keynote, a
round table discussion, paper contributions, and a workshop. This work can be
prepared by an initial group of attentive people from the program committee,
joined by other interested participants.

Sub-Themes – Call for Contributions
Sub-themes in this conference may deal with particular aspects of migration
and refugees, and also how patterns can be used in solving some of the related
problems of refugees. In addition, patterns and pattern languages may also be
discussed in their different forms of applications in particular fields, and
interdisciplinary topics, and with regard to the need for its own development
and future application and problem solving. Research papers and other
contributions are welcome in the following areas:

- The Generative City and Urban Regeneration
- World-wide Migration
- Architecture, Urban Design, and Displacement
- The City of Social Change and Refugee Arrival
- Arrival City for Migrants and Refugees
- Refugee Integration Case Studies
- Patterns for Migrants and Refugees
- The Future of Pattern Language
- Open Topic

Submission
Proposals that address major conference themes are welcome. Proposals should
be around 300 words. Please note in your submission which theme(s) your
proposal addresses and which type of presentation you wish to contribute
(poster, panel, individual presentation, workshop, etc.).

Submissions and contributions to the conference may consist of the following,
or you may suggest another format for your contribution in your proposal:
- Research Papers
- Talks and Presentations
- Posters
- Workshop Proposals
- Exhibition Fair
- Pattern Language group preparation

Please send abstracts and proposals to
puarl AT uoregon.edu.
Submissions are due
April 30, 2018.

Proposals will be peer-reviewed by the Program and Academic International
Committee and acceptance will be announced by May 30, 2018. Once accepted,
full papers can be submitted to PUARL by September 15, 2018 for inclusion in a
conference record in 2018.

The conference fee is $450, not including the 10 Year Anniversary Publication.
Presenters will be expected to pay the full conference fee, and to fund their
travel and accommodations.

Important Dates
Proposals Due: April 30, 2018
Acceptance Announcements: May 30, 2018
Full Papers Due: September 15, 2018
Full Conference Dates: October 24-28, 2018
PUARL Conference October 26-28, 2018
PLoP October 24-26
October 26: Joint keynote with PUARL and PLoP

Organizers
Hajo Neis, PUARL, Portland Urban Architecture Research Laboratory, University
of Oregon
Peter Baumgartner, PURPLSOC, Danube University Krems, Austria
Kyle Brown, PLoP

PUARL and PARTNERS
- Portland Urban Architecture Research Laboratory (PUARL)
http://puarl.uoregon.edu/
- Pattern Languages of Programs
http://www.hillside.net/plop/2018/
- Pursuit of Pattern Languages for Societal Change (PURPLSOC),
http://www.purplsoc.org/
- University of San Francisco (USF), https://www.usfca.edu/
- Collaborative for Inclusive Urbanism (CIU),
http://www.inclusiveurbanism.org/
- Advanced Research in Urban Systems (ARUS),

https://www.uni-due.de/urbane-systeme/advanced-research-in-urban-systems_en.shtml
- Center for Environmental Structure, US and GB (CES),
http://www.patternlanguage.com/
http://www.livingneighborhoods.org/ht-0/bln-exp.htm

  • [[patterns-discussion] ] PUARL International Conference 2018 : "MIGRATION, REFUGEES, AND PATTERNS", puarl, 03/02/2018