rv - [RV] Feng Chen has passed away

rv AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Runtime Verification and Monitoring

[RV] Feng Chen has passed away

  • From: "Rosu, Grigore" <grosu AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • To: "rv AT cs.uiuc.edu" <rv AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [RV] Feng Chen has passed away
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:49:13 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Dear Runtime Verification colleagues.

I have a very sad, tragic news. Many of you know or heard of Feng Chen. He
was my PhD student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and was
the main developer of two runtime verification systems, JavaMOP and
jPredictor. He defended his PhD thesis on July 20, 2009, and accepted a
tenure track assistant professor position at Iowa State University where he
was expected to start this fall.

On Friday night, August 7th, Feng Chen had a sudden heart attack in his
appartment. He was quickly transported to the hospital but he did not make
it: Feng passed away on Saturday, August 8th, at about 11am. He was 31 years
old. He was one of the most productive students we have ever had at Urbana,
publishing more than 20 papers in major conferences in formal methods,
software engineering and programming languages (ICSE, OOPSLA, CAV, TACAS,
SAS, ASE, etc.). The Department of Computer Science at UIUC put together a
webpage in his memory, and a fund has been created to help his family come to
the USA for the funeral services. You can find more information about these
on the CS webpage, at
http://cs.illinois.edu/. May his soul rest in peace.

Grigore Rosu

  • [RV] Feng Chen has passed away, Rosu, Grigore, 08/15/2009