charm - Re: [charm] Reduction along one dimension in a 2-D chare Array

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Reduction along one dimension in a 2-D chare Array

  • From: Ramprasad Venkataraman <ramv AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Abhishek Gupta <gupta59 AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Reduction along one dimension in a 2-D chare Array
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:04:29 -0500

Delegate your sections to CkMulticast if you want section reductions.

Ram

On May 4, 2010, at 7:36 AM, Phil Miller
<mille121 AT illinois.edu>
wrote:

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 01:10, Abhishek Gupta <gupta59 AT illinois.edu> wrote:
I have a 2-D partitioned matrix and I want to do a reduction along x
dimension in this 2-D chare Array and this needs to be done for each
column. What is the best way to do that ? Using array section proxies ?

Instinctively, I'm inclined to say that there's no baked-in support
for that at present. Depending on how performance critical this
reduction is, you may be best off implementing it in your application
as "everyone sends to (0,y)" and have one element calculate the
reduction, or by manually sending the data up a tree.

It looks like the libraries in
src/libs/ck-libs/{sparseReducer,sparseContiguousReducer} may serve
your purpose.