charm - Re: [charm] Reduction along one dimension in a 2-D chare Array

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Reduction along one dimension in a 2-D chare Array

  • From: Eric Bohm <ebohm AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Filippo Gioachin <gioachin AT uiuc.edu>
  • Cc: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>, "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Abhishek Gupta <gupta59 AT illinois.edu>, Ramprasad Venkataraman <ramv AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Reduction along one dimension in a 2-D chare Array
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 13:23:49 -0500

It should be noted that in the current implementation the delegated
CkMulticastMgr section multicast/reductions will significantly
outperform the 1d array broadcast/reductions at scale. I really would
not recommend decomposing your problem into column arrays, especially if
you would expect them to span a subset of processors. The current
(wrong in my opinion) default assumptions of anytime migration support
kills scaling performance for array broadcasts under those conditions.