charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Charm++ On the Cell Processor

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Charm++ On the Cell Processor

  • From: David Kunzman <kunzman2 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Farshid Dehghan <farshid.dehghan AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Charm++ On the Cell Processor
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:57:46 -0500

Hello Farsheed,

   We are doing well here.  I hope you are also doing well.

   Can you please explain what you are doing in a bit more detail?  I'm not sure that I understand the statement "I am working to link Cell SDK 3 with Charm++ with out Offload API."

   If you are trying to compile Charm++ on the PPE without any special support for the SPEs (i.e. you are going to make use of them in your application code directly), then you can simply build the Charm++ runtime system using the "net-linux" build (or something similar).

   If you are trying to compile Charm++ with support for the SPEs (i.e. using accelerated entry methods instead of using the Offload API directly), then you should build the "net-linux-cell" version of the Charm++ runtime system.  Accelerated entry methods are portable across different versions.  Though, in this version of the runtime system, they are directed to the SPEs for execution.

   Either way, the operating system shouldn't make a big difference.  Just make sure that the SDK tools (e.g. "spu-g++", "ppu32-g++", and so on) are in your PATH.

   I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dave Kunzman