charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] load balancer question (freeze/crash)

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] load balancer question (freeze/crash)

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Gengbin Zheng <zhenggb AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Evghenii Gaburov <e-gaburov AT northwestern.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] load balancer question (freeze/crash)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:41:21 -0500

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:17, Gengbin Zheng
<zhenggb AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> Make sure you call the parent when you overload those two functions,
> something like the following:
>
>      void ckAboutToMigrate() { CBase_LB_Test::ckAboutToMigrate(); }
>      void ckJustMigrated() { CBase_LB_Test::ckJustMigrated(); }

Looking through the manual, that doesn't seem to be documented
anywhere. These functions are never used in any of our tests or
examples, but they are indeed written that way in some of our
libraries. It seems like a serious misfeature, which is exactly the
sort of thing that hinders Charm++ adoption. We should find some way
to address that need without imposing boilerplate incantations on
users.