charm - [charm] Broadcasts to groups serialized?

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Broadcasts to groups serialized?

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Charm Mailing List <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Broadcasts to groups serialized?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 15:50:34 -0500

I see explicit machinery in the implementation of chare arrays to
ensure that all broadcasts are reflected off of a 'serializer' PE,
putting their transmission from that PE in a particular order.
However, I can't find what guarantees that all PEs receive the
broadcasts (CkArray::recvBroadcast()) in that same order.

Given that the array implementation assumes ordered receipt of
broadcasts and numbers them locally for delivery to array elements, I
figure that means that the group-level broadcasts must happen in
order. Can someone please point me to where that order is imposed or
enforced?

Thanks,

Phil