charm - [charm] recursive strassen, missing calls

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] recursive strassen, missing calls

  • From: Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock AT gmail.com>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] recursive strassen, missing calls
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:39:42 -0600

I trimmed down the Strassen program I asked about in an early email to a shorter version that does nothing but create recursively new chares up to a predefined depth. The leaf nodes return a counter message, which gets added as the recursion goes back up, and finally printed at the root level. I posted the code on github [1]. What I find, using charm-6.5.1, is the following:

./futures +p1 5
done, counter = 32768 (32768)

./futures +p1 6
done, counter = 1 (262144)

The number in the parentheses is what the counter should have been, i.e. 8^d, where d is the depth. Could someone have a look at the code and give me a pointer what I am doing wrong? Why does the code seem to work so great for depth <= 5, but not for depth >= 6?

More fundamentally, how sensible of a programming approach is the recursion I am trying to use in the context of Charm++?

Thanks already,

nick

[1] https://gist.github.com/nicolasbock/5968803

  • [charm] recursive strassen, missing calls, Nicolas Bock, 07/10/2013