charm - Re: [charm] n_comm in LDStats

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] n_comm in LDStats

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Roberto de Quadros Gomes <rqg.gomes AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] n_comm in LDStats
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:33:43 -0500

Hi Roberto,

The load balancing database is only recording point-to-point
communication, while collective communication (such as MPI_Bcast) is
excluded. I believe that is because the communication edges added by
collectives are not very informative from a load-balancing
perspective. Collective algorithms are distributing the communication
such that every rank will effectively participate to a similar extent,
or at least the underlying processors will.

I've just tested various programs that do point-to-point
communication, and they do record communication edges as expected.

Phil

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Roberto de Quadros Gomes
<rqg.gomes AT gmail.com>