charm - [charm] Build with ninja

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Build with ninja

  • From: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT gmail.com>
  • To: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [charm] Build with ninja
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 19:47:14 -0600

Hi folks,

I'm trying to compile a Charm++ program using the ninja build system (instead of make) and I'm running into errors with the charmc script. Here is a shortened example compile line ninja generates:

$ charmc -MMD -MT test.C.o -MF test.C.o.d -o test.C.o -c test.C
Fatal Error by charmc in directory ...
   test.C.o: file not recognized: File truncated
charmc exiting...

Another one, failing due to a different argument:

$ charmc -MF test.C.o.d -o test.C.o -c test.C
Fatal Error by charmc in directory ...
   file with unrecognized extension test.C.o.d
charmc exiting...

If I take out both the "-MF test.C.o.d" and the "-MT test.C.o" options, it compiles fine. I'm not familiar with how and why ninja generates these -MT and -MF options but I assumed there is a good reason and I cannot just eliminate them.

Is there anyone else using ninja with charm?

I tried grepping for -MF and -MT in the charmc script and found no occurrences. Shouldn't the charmc wrapper script pass through any compiler option it does not recognize?

In any case, can this be fixed? That would be awesome as I prefer ninja to make.

Thank you in advance,
Jozsef