charm - Re: [charm] Unable to run UTS with projections

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Unable to run UTS with projections

  • From: Hrushit Parikh <parikhhrushit AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Unable to run UTS with projections
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:31:52 -0800

Thank you, upgrading to charm-6.6.1 worked. I am able to link the UTS code with projections and generate analysis data.

However, when I tried to run UTS with -tracemode projections and my modified cldb.workstealing.c "seed balancer" I run into a segmentation fault. I have been trying to do a stack backtrace analysis and debug it since couple of days. Here is what I have:

The CopyMsg function in machine-common-core.c throws an error (address out of bounds) while doing a memcpy:

/* Utiltiy functions */
static char *CopyMsg(char *msg, int len) {
    char *copy = (char *)CmiAlloc(len);
#if CMK_ERROR_CHECKING
    if (!copy) {
        CmiAbort("Error: out of memory in machine layer\n");
    }
#endif
    memcpy(copy, msg, len);
    return copy;
}

The values of copy, msg and len are:

copy: 0x2aaac0ce0020""
len: 50331728
msg: 0xe25940""

Seeing the length it is most likely that we are trying to ask for too big a chunk of memory. I tracked back the  char *msg in the above code to envelope *env in function CkCreateGroup(...) in file ck.C

What parameters is env storing that it has a length of 50331728 ? What data from the converse run time system, especially the seed balancer does it take which could be causing this error, because my changes are primarily in the workstealing seed balancer.

Thank you in advance.

PS: My seed balancer works fine if I do not link projections to the UTS code.