charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Use Charm++ in a library?

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Use Charm++ in a library?

  • From: Jim Phillips <jim AT ks.uiuc.edu>
  • To: 董理 <dongli AT lasg.iap.ac.cn>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Use Charm++ in a library?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 10:34:21 -0600 (CST)

Yes, you can write Charm++ libraries that are called from MPI programs.

See http://charm.cs.illinois.edu/manuals/html/charm++/25.html

Jim

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, ?~Q??~P~F wrote:

Dear all,
In the manual of Charm++, it says:

The Charm++ framework implements its own main function and retains
control until the parallel execution environment is initialized and ready
for executing user code. Hence, the user program must not define a
main() function.

Does it mean we cannot use Charm++ in a library, which will be used by other
application? The scenario is that the application is an atmospheric
circulation model
(say A), and the library is an advection algorithm (say B). A has its own
parallel model, and is out of my control. I would like to implement B to use
Charm++ as
the underlying parallel engine. Could it be done in this way? Thanks in
advance!

Best regards,

Dr. Li Dong (??????)
LASG, Institute of Atmospheric Physics