charm - [charm] Use Charm++ in a library?

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Use Charm++ in a library?

  • From: 董理 <dongli AT lasg.iap.ac.cn>
  • To: charm AT cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: [charm] Use Charm++ in a library?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 11:37:44 +0800

Dear all,

In the manual of Charm++, it says:

The Charm++ framework implements its own main function and retains control until the parallel execution environment is initialized and ready for executing user code. Hence, the user program must not define a main() function.

Does it mean we cannot use Charm++ in a library, which will be used by other application? The scenario is that the application is an atmospheric circulation model (say A), and the library is an advection algorithm (say B). A has its own parallel model, and is out of my control. I would like to implement B to use Charm++ as the underlying parallel engine. Could it be done in this way? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Dr. Li Dong (董理)
LASG, Institute of Atmospheric Physics
Chinese Academy of Sciences