charm - [charm] Invoking the Load Balancer on a Workstation

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Invoking the Load Balancer on a Workstation

  • From: Chris Wailes <chris.wailes AT gmail.com>
  • To: charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: [charm] Invoking the Load Balancer on a Workstation
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 17:54:27 -0400

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their hard work on the Charm++ project.  My life would be a lot more complicated right now without all of your efforts.

Now, to get to the issue I'm having:

I'm attempting to work with Charm++'s load balancing infrastructure.  Right now, I'd like to develop things on my workstation, which has a single quad-core, hyperthreaded CPU in it.

I've compiled Charm++ with the following versions:
  • multicore-linux64
  • net-linux-x86_64-smp
  • net-linux-x86_64
  • netlrts-linux-x86_64-smp
  • netlrts-linux-x86_64

I've tried running lb_test, jacobi3d, and kNeighbor with each of these versions using the following commands:

  • ./lb_test.every +isomalloc_sync +balancer GreedyLB +LBDebug 9 +LBPrintSummary 1024 100 10 10 100 100 mesh2d
  • ./jacobi3d +isomalloc_sync +balancer GreedyLB +LBDebug 9 +LBPrintSummary 128 32
  • ./kNeighbor +isomalloc_sync +balancer GreedyLB +LBDebug 9 +LBPrintSummary 128 16 32

So far none of these combinations have resulted in any load balancer summaries or debugging prints besides the following (this output was from the netlrts-linux-x86_64 version):

CharmLB> Verbose level 9, load balancing period: 0.5 seconds
CharmLB> Topology torus_nd_5 alpha: 3.500000e-05s beta: 8.500000e-09s.
CharmLB> Load balancer print summary of load balancing result.
CharmLB> Load balancer assumes all CPUs are same.
Charm++> Running on 1 unique compute nodes (8-way SMP).
Charm++> cpu topology info is gathered in 0.011 seconds.
[0] GreedyLB created

It seems like the line `Running on 1 unique compute nodes (8-way SMP).` might indicate that the load balancer isn't running because there is only 1 "node" or processing element.  I tried and failed to find any way to force the creation of 8 processing elements for my 8 logical cores.

Cold anyone tell me what I need to do to get the load balancer firing when I run these applications on my workstation?

- Chris