maude-help - [Maude-help] Natural numbers

[Maude-help] Natural numbers

  • From: Geert Janssen <geert AT watson.ibm.com>
  • To: maude-help AT banyan.cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [Maude-help] Natural numbers
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 08:52:35 -0400

Dear Maude help mailing list,

I wondered whether it is possible to "subsort" the MachineInts.
I wanted to have a sort MachineNat that represents the natural numbers.
However, I tried using conditional membership statements to no avail.
What I did was this (in Core Maude):

fmod MACHINE-NAT is
protecting MACHINE-INT .
sort MachineNat .
subsort MachineNat < MachineInt .

var N : MachineInt .
cmb N : MachineNat if N >= 0 .
endfm

Try reducing "0 >= 0" in this module ...
Anyway I am hoping that a guru can help me out here.
I have the feeling that it is simply impossible.

Geert Janssen