maude-help - [Maude-help] parallel/distributed, 64bit-ness

[Maude-help] parallel/distributed, 64bit-ness

  • From: Scott Christley <schristley AT mac.com>
  • To: maude-help AT peepal.cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [Maude-help] parallel/distributed, 64bit-ness
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:55:20 -0700

Hello,

I've recently acquired access to some 16-core 64bit AMD machines and I am curious about the possibility of Maude utilizing all the processors in a parallel fashion.

My interest is not in parallel rewriting exactly, but in model checking. It seems to me that the DFS algorithm can use multiple execution threads to explore separate branches of the state space. The question becomes are there thread safety issues, like in the rewrite engine, that would throttle performance gains? Or maybe this has already been done by someone?

There is also consideration of a distributed architecture without shared memory space using a message passing protocol (MPI) for communication. This is more challenging because of graph partitioning and load balancing, but would be interesting to explore.

Lastly, from looking at the model checker code, it appears to represent states with an "int" data type. Do I understand this correctly then, and there is a limit of 2^32 states? Blindly changing this to "long" is likely not a good idea because it double memory usage, but a configure switch to enable it might be a good option. This isn't a practical issue right now, I'm just thinking ahead.

I've compiled Maude on 64bit and there doesn't seem to be any issue with accessing beyond 4GB. Though I've noticed that the rewrite is slower (maybe half the speed) of 32bit, not sure if this is an issue with my architecture (Mac Intel) being slower for certain operations, or something in Maude.

thanks
Scott

  • [Maude-help] parallel/distributed, 64bit-ness, Scott Christley, 07/22/2008