maude-help - Re: [[Maude-help] ] Software Optimization in Maude

Re: [[Maude-help] ] Software Optimization in Maude

  • From: Steven Eker <eker AT csl.sri.com>
  • To: maude-help AT lists.illinois.edu, phil AT schanely.com, maude-help AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [[Maude-help] ] Software Optimization in Maude
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 17:50:18 -0700

Hi Phil,

I think rule based programming and term rewriting have gone out of fashion in
recent years - witness the demise of RULE and the folding of RTA into a more
general formal methods conference. Satisfiablility, in particularly SMT seems
to be where the action is these days, as far as practical formal methods
tools.

Rival systems to Maude have traditionally been:

ASF+SDF - no longer actively developed, successor is Rascal
Stratego - created by a former ASF+SDF developer
ELAN - no longer actively developed,
Tom - created by a former ELAN developer
CafeOBJ - still under active development

Maude is still being actively developed; we expect to put out a new public
version this year. New features that are already working in the development
version include rewriting modulo SMT and partial support for unification
modulo
associativity (it's an infinitary theory so support will likely always be
partial).

As far as your code goes, I've only quickly eye-balled it without
understanding what it is doing; I notice a couple of things:

(1) Using conditional equations to check for degenerate data (L =/= []) is
expensive. The preferred technique is to put non-degenerate data in subsorts
(non-zero integer, non-empty list etc) and then give the variable the
appropriate subsort.

(2) Rules are (at least) an order of magnitude more expensive than equations,
so only use them when you need the possibility of alternative rewrites
(search, fair rewriting).

Steven