maude-help - [[maude-help] ] module definition sequence and literate programming/specification

[[maude-help] ] module definition sequence and literate programming/specification

  • From: Marko Schuetz-Schmuck <MarkoSchuetz AT web.de>
  • To: maude-help AT lists.cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: [[maude-help] ] module definition sequence and literate programming/specification
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 10:31:36 -0400

Dear All,

I am using org-mode and its literate programming capabilities to write
and document Maude specifications. From org-mode I can "tangle" the
Maude source code blocks into a .maude file. I noticed that the sequence
of module definitions in the resulting .maude file _is_ relevant. For
some reason I had assumed that the modules could be given in any order
and that the Maude system could handle this. For such a literate way of
specification it would seem much more natural to be able to move text
(including source) around in the document without having to be concerned
with the sequence in which modules are introduced. From my cursory
understanding of the meta-level features, I suspect that some form of
module dependency analysis and reordering could be implemented as a
pre-processing stage. Has someone looked into this before? Would this
seem practical?

Best regards,

Marko