maude-help - Re: [[maude-help] ] module definition sequence and literate programming/specification

Re: [[maude-help] ] module definition sequence and literate programming/specification

  • From: Steven Eker <steveneker AT gmail.com>
  • To: Marko Schuetz-Schmuck <MarkoSchuetz AT web.de>
  • Cc: maude-help AT lists.cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: Re: [[maude-help] ] module definition sequence and literate programming/specification
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 10:19:54 -0700

For a language with user definable syntax, it doesn't seem
practical to parse a module FOO that imports module BAR before
module BAR has been seen since the syntax of say equations
in FOO may depend on unseen operator declarations in BAR.

Of course one might define a higher level entity; say a package,
that consists of modules/theories/views and when the end of
the package is seen, the import declarations of the contained entities
could be examined to see if there is a consistent order to parse them.
But even a module _expression_ can't be fully parsed without seeing
the user defined syntax.

Steven