nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] lpbb: Genetic Influences on Child Language Ability

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] lpbb: Genetic Influences on Child Language Ability

  • From: Margaret Fleck <mfleck AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • To: nl-uiuc AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] lpbb: Genetic Influences on Child Language Ability
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:10:38 -0500

[forwarded from the lpbb mailing list]

----------------------------
Dear friends of language processing brownbag,

I am sending you this message to let you know that our speaker for
the next lpbb (10/13Th) will be Laura S. DeThorne, an Assistant
Professor in the Department of Speech & Hearing Science, talking about
"Genetic Influences on Child Language Ability (please see the abstract
below)".

The following is the schedule for the remainder of the semester:

10/27 Sylvia Yuan (UIUC)
11/3 Psychonomic practice session
12/1 Amy Swanson (UIUC)

Hope to see you on Thursday (10/13) at 12:30pm in our new room 4269
Beckman!

Mieko
--------------------------------
Genetic Influences on Child Language Ability
Laura S. DeThorne

This presentation will focus on evidence of genetic influences on
child language development as examined through two separate twin
studies, specifically the Western Reserve Reading Project and the
Twins Early Development Study. Specifically, I will address the
extent of genetic influence on children's expressive language
abilities and evidence of etiologic overlap/specificity within
assessments of language and across other developmental domains (e.g.,
reading and general cognitive development). Implications for models
of language production will be discussed.

Dr. DeThorne is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Speech &
Hearing Science here at the University of Illinois. Her teaching and
research interests focus on the genetic and environmental influences
on children's communication development and disability.

  • [nl-uiuc] lpbb: Genetic Influences on Child Language Ability, Margaret Fleck, 10/10/2005