nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] [Fwd: Fwd: LPBB]

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] [Fwd: Fwd: LPBB]

  • From: Margaret Fleck <mfleck AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • To: nl-uiuc AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] [Fwd: Fwd: LPBB]
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:34:21 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fwd: LPBB
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:04:36 -0500
From: Sarah Brown-Schmidt
<brownsch AT uiuc.edu>
(by way of Judy Allen)
To: Recipient List Suppressed:;

Our next Brown Bag is next Thursday the 27th at 12:30 in the
afternoon in Beckman 4269. Sylvia Yuan will be presenting and her
talk abstract and title is pasted below.

Sarah

Here's the information:

Title: "Really? He blicked the cat?": Two-year-olds learn distributional facts about verbs in the absence of a referential context

Abstract:

The syntactic bootstrapping hypothesis proposes that children use syntax to learn verbs. Prior studies involved giving children simultaneous access to a verb's syntactic and referential context. In three experiments, we ask what children learn about a novel verb simply through overhearing its use in sentences. 28-month-olds watched dialogues in which interlocutors used a novel verb in transitive ("Jim blicked the cat! ...") or intransitive sentences ("Jim blicked! ..."). Children then saw two test events: a one-person action and a two-person action. Nouns in the dialogue were not relevant to the test scenes. Upon hearing the verb in isolation ("Find blicking!"), children who had heard transitive sentences looked longer at the two-person action than those who heard intransitive sentences. These and control results suggest that 28-month-olds gather distributional facts about novel verbs, in the absence of a referential scene, and later retrieve them to guide attention to relevant aspects of a referential scene.

Thanks for looking into the speakers! Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Sylvia

  • [nl-uiuc] [Fwd: Fwd: LPBB], Margaret Fleck, 10/25/2005