nl-uiuc - [nl-uiuc] CS598: Parsing, maching translation and grammar induction

nl-uiuc AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Natural language research announcements

[nl-uiuc] CS598: Parsing, maching translation and grammar induction

  • From: Julia Hockenmaier <juliahmr AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • To: nl-uiuc AT cs.uiuc.edu, vision AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [nl-uiuc] CS598: Parsing, maching translation and grammar induction
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:27:40 -0600

I'll be teaching the following advanced NLP course next semester

Parsing, machine translation and grammar induction
(CS598jhm)
Spring 2009, WF, 12:30-1:45 Siebel 1103
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~juliahmr/cs598/

The first part of the course will give an overview of the grammar
formalisms, statistical models, and search algorithms used in natural
language parsing and grammar induction. The second part of the course
will show how many of these ideas can be extended and applied to
machine translation. We will also look at ways to implement and train
very large-scale NLP systems (using Hadoop, Bloom filters, etc.)

The course will consist of a mixture of lectures and seminar-style presentations done by students as well as a course project.

Prerequisites: Machine learning (CS446), prior exposure to NLP (one of CS498, LING406, CS546) or approval of the instructor.

Julia Hockenmaier

  • [nl-uiuc] CS598: Parsing, maching translation and grammar induction, Julia Hockenmaier, 12/11/2008