patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Design Patterns and Matlab

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Design Patterns and Matlab

  • From: Jenifer Tidwell <jtidwell AT animato.arlington.ma.us>
  • To: Maria Apogeni <mayrajava AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Design Patterns and Matlab
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:04:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Maria!

It's true that MATLAB (properly "M") isn't an OO language; you're
not going to find very many of the GoF's patterns in it. However,
proxies are used extensively in places where you may not see them.
So are singletons and MVC. M is a rich language, and while I
haven't personally searched for known patterns in it, I'm sure
more of them are there. Certainly there are lots of M programming
idioms and approaches that are considered "best practices."

By the way, if you want a more lively discussion, you might want
to post to comp.soft-sys.matlab. (If you don't have a convenient
newsreader, go to http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/ and
use our Web front end.)

If you haven't yet, you can "mine for patterns" in the contributed
M code posted to the file exchange at that URL. I can't honestly
say it's all good code, but you might find it useful. :-)

Good luck!

- Jenifer

Jenifer Tidwell
The MathWorks