patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern/strategy for minimal code changes

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern/strategy for minimal code changes

  • From: Ralph Johnson <johnson AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • To: Aswin D <win_ash12 AT yahoo.com>, <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern/strategy for minimal code changes
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:43:45 -0500

On 10/23/04 1:39 AM, "Aswin D"
<win_ash12 AT yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been asked to come up with a framework of the server side
> layer
> as part of a project. One of the requirements for creating this framework is
> that there should be minimal code changes to the users of the framework. Are
> there any design patterns/strategies that I can use as part of this
> framework
> ? There is already a codebase. My framework is really providing the
> middleware
> layer to access the database. The existing codebase that will use my
> framework
> will need to have minimal code changes.

You haven't said anything about the system. Probably there are patterns you
can use, but there is no way to tell what they are with so little
information.

Perhaps your framework is the traditional object-relational mapping layer.
There are a lot of these frameworks around, and you should use one instead
of writing your own.

There is no way to retrofit a framework into an existing project without
changing a lot of code. "Minimal change" will probably be a lot larger than
your boss expects.

-Ralph Johnson