patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern/strategy for minimal code changes

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern/strategy for minimal code changes

  • From: Mark Grand <mgrand AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Ralph Johnson <johnson AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Aswin D <win_ash12 AT yahoo.com>, <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Design pattern/strategy for minimal code changes
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:06:02 -0400

Since you have said noting about the system, I assume that the purpose of the framework is more structural than functional. If that is a correct assumption, then answering this question should put you on the way to knowing what patterns to use:

What value is the framework supposed to add? Or, in other words, In what ways are things expected to be better after you have added the framework?

At 09:43 PM 10/23/2004, Ralph Johnson wrote:
On 10/23/04 1:39 AM, "Aswin D"
<win_ash12 AT yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been asked to come up with a framework of the server side layer
> as part of a project. One of the requirements for creating this framework is
> that there should be minimal code changes to the users of the framework. Are
> there any design patterns/strategies that I can use as part of this framework
> ? There is already a codebase. My framework is really providing the middleware
> layer to access the database. The existing codebase that will use my framework
> will need to have minimal code changes.

You haven't said anything about the system. Probably there are patterns you
can use, but there is no way to tell what they are with so little
information.

Perhaps your framework is the traditional object-relational mapping layer.
There are a lot of these frameworks around, and you should use one instead
of writing your own.

There is no way to retrofit a framework into an existing project without
changing a lot of code. "Minimal change" will probably be a lot larger than
your boss expects.

-Ralph Johnson