patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] patterns and micro-architectures

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] patterns and micro-architectures

  • From: Jason Baragry <baragry AT online.no>
  • To: <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] patterns and micro-architectures
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:26:11 +0100 (CET)

G'Day,

I've been debating with a few people what the difference is between patterns
and micro-architectures and I'd appreciate some opinions from people here.

My understanding is that patterns are abstractions, whereas
micro-architectures are actual implementations - collections of interacting
objects that solve some problem.

So, micro-architectures can realise some patten or collection of patterns.
Therefore, it should be possible to 'point to' a micro-architecture in some
implemented system or UML model and say "that micro-architecture is playing
the role 'blah' in the pattern 'blah'". Indeed, some research groups are
working on tools to do just that. E.g.,
www.yann-gael.gueheneuc.net/ Work/Publications/Documents/WCRE04.ppt.pdf

However because some patterns are very close to the class level (e.g., the
GoFs), it is easy to get confused between what a pattern is and what a
micro-architecture is. Indeed in the original GoF paper, that actual makes
that confusion:
"Design patterns act as building blocks for constructing more complex
designs; they can be considered micro-architectures that contribute to
overall system architecture."
*Design Patterns: Abstraction and Reuse of Object-Oriented Design (1993)*
Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides.
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/gamma93design.html

Is there some other way of seeing the relationship between patterns and
micro-architectures?

thanks,

Jason