patterns-discussion - RE: [patterns-discussion] patterns and micro-architectures

Subject: General talk about software patterns

RE: [patterns-discussion] patterns and micro-architectures

  • From: "Kencho san" <kenchoweb AT hotmail.com>
  • To: baragry AT online.no, patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [patterns-discussion] patterns and micro-architectures
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:44:49 +0100

Hi

I also understand micro-architectures as actual implemented solutions. Maybe the confusion you're talking about regarding to the GoF paper is because some patterns could be implemented as actual micro-architectures (for instance, you can think of a very simple application, where a Singleton itself is a micro-architecture). I don't find a way to explain this correctly...
My understanding is that the design and/or architectural patterns are referred to the software design, while the micro-architectures aim to actual implementations to those designs, giving a stand-alone solution to a problem (they're a solution to a certain problem, but mostly independent of the context).

So patterns are generic solutions to specific (single) design problems, and micro-architectures deal with the overall application or module, aiming to the actual implementation.

Just my thoughts (I'm kind of a software engineer novice...) Hope that helps,

Jesús Alonso Abad

G'Day,

I've been debating with a few people what the difference is between patterns and micro-architectures and I'd appreciate some opinions from people here.

My understanding is that patterns are abstractions, whereas micro-architectures are actual implementations - collections of interacting objects that solve some problem.

So, micro-architectures can realise some patten or collection of patterns. Therefore, it should be possible to 'point to' a micro-architecture in some implemented system or UML model and say "that micro-architecture is playing the role 'blah' in the pattern 'blah'". Indeed, some research groups are working on tools to do just that. E.g.,
www.yann-gael.gueheneuc.net/ Work/Publications/Documents/WCRE04.ppt.pdf

However because some patterns are very close to the class level (e.g., the GoFs), it is easy to get confused between what a pattern is and what a micro-architecture is. Indeed in the original GoF paper, that actual makes that confusion:
"Design patterns act as building blocks for constructing more complex designs; they can be considered micro-architectures that contribute to overall system architecture."
*Design Patterns: Abstraction and Reuse of Object-Oriented Design (1993)*
Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides. http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/gamma93design.html

Is there some other way of seeing the relationship between patterns and micro-architectures?

thanks,

Jason