patterns-discussion - Re: [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memory allocation

Subject: General talk about software patterns

Re: [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memory allocation

  • From: Ralph Malph <ralph_malph AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Linda Rising <risingl1 AT cox.net>
  • Cc: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memory allocation
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:30:52 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

Thanks, Linda.

That describes me exactly. I am working on a quite
large embedded system that was written by "senior"
engineers at a research facility with minimal if any
training in modern software design techniques. The
software is a mess, and I'm starting to look at
patterns as a way to restructure it. The entire code
base is written in C++ without dynamic memory
allocation, and from my initial pass through parts of
the GoF book, it looked like dynamic memory allocation
would be a requirement for using design patterns.
I'll take a closer look at them.

Andre

--- Linda Rising
<risingl1 AT cox.net>