patterns-discussion - RE: [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation

Subject: General talk about software patterns

RE: [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation

  • From: Andre Benassi <ralph_malph AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Kencho san <kenchoweb AT hotmail.com>, patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:51:55 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

Hi Kencho,

Thanks for your reply. I am still learning the
patterns, so I'll take a close look at the patterns
you mentioned.

The problem is not that we have limited memory, but
that we are not allowed to use dynamically allocated
memory (no heap). I have envisioned the use of
statically created objects in the place of dynamically
created ones, and I just wanted to make sure that it
made sense to do it that way in light of how the
patterns are implemented. It seems like I see a lot
of dynamic memory being allocated in the examples of
the books I have read (GoF, Head First DP), but I now
know that it is not usually a requirement but rather a
convenience or merely the "standard". There doesn't
seem to be much consideration for real-time systems in
the books I read, and most of them use Java, which is
right out for me.

Thanks again,

Andre
--- Kencho san