patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] [CfP] 2nd European Lisp & Scheme Workshop

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] [CfP] 2nd European Lisp & Scheme Workshop

  • From: Pascal Costanza <pc AT p-cos.net>
  • To: "'Patterns-Discussion'" <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] [CfP] 2nd European Lisp & Scheme Workshop
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:52:55 +0200

| 2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop |
| July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005 |
| Supported by ALU |

Important
- The workshop will include a keynote by Richard P. Gabriel. (pending)
- We are looking for papers & for breakout group proposals! (see below)

Important Dates:
Submission deadline: May 16, 2005
Notification of acceptance: May 27, 2005
ECOOP early registration deadline: pending

For more information visit
http://lisp-ecoop05.bknr.net (expect a few updates in the near future)
or contact
pc AT p-cos.net

Organizers
**********

Pascal Costanza, Programming Technology Lab, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Theo D'Hondt, Programming Technology Lab, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Arthur Lemmens, Independent Consultant, Amsterdam
Manuel Serrano, INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France

Website: Hans Huebner, Berlin

Overview
********

Lisp has a tradition of providing a fruitful basis for language design
experiments for many decades. The structure of Lisp, including its
current major dialects Common Lisp and Scheme, makes it easy to extend
the language or even to implement entirely new dialects without
starting from scratch. The Common Lisp Object System (CLOS) was the
first object-oriented programming language to receive an ANSI standard.
It is, arguably, the most complete and advanced object system of any
language.

Despite having somewhat disappeared from the radar of popular computer
science, Lisp has just started to gain momentum again. There is a
steadily growing interest in Lisp as such, with numerous user groups
having formed recently worldwide, and Lisp's metaprogramming notions
that are being transferred to other languages to different extents, as
for example in AOP, MDA, DSL, and so on.

This one-day workshop will address the near-future role of Lisp-based
languages in research, industry and education. We want to solicit
papers and suggestions for breakout groups that discuss the
opportunities Lisp provides to capture and enhance the possibilities
in software engineering. We also want to promote lively discussion
between researchers proposing new approaches and practitioners
reporting on their experience with the strengths and limitations of
current Lisp technologies.

Papers
******

Suggested Topics:
* Macro programming
* Metaprogramming
* Reflection
* New language features / abstractions
* Case studies
* Experience reports
* Industrial applications
* Object-Oriented Programming
* Declarative Programming
* Aspect-Oriented Programming
* Domain-Oriented Programming
* Generative Programming
* Ambient Intelligence
* Unanticipated Software Evolution
* Design Patterns
* Educational Perspectives

Breakout Groups
***************

We want to promote to take advantage of meeting other Lispers and
Schemers face to face by organizing breakout groups around focused
topics. Example topics: Discuss the feature set of the next version
of Slime; work on details of the CLRFI process; exchange experiences
with various macro systems for Scheme; detail a wishlist for R6RS;
compare and enhance curricula for computer science education. And so on.

In order to have effective discussions at those breakout groups, we
are negotiating meeting rooms for an extra day in addition to the
actual workshop with the ECOOP organizers.

Submission Guidelines
*********************

Potential attendants are expected to submit
* either a long paper (10 pages) presenting scientific and/or
empirical results about Lisp- and Scheme-based uses or new
approaches for software engineering purposes
* or a short essay (5 pages) defending a position about where research
and practice based on Lisp and Scheme should be heading in the near
future
* a proposal for a breakout group (1-2 pages) describing the theme, an
agenda and/or expected results

Submissions should be mailed as PDF to Pascal Costanza
(pc AT p-cos.net)
before the submission deadline. Please indicate whether
you need an earlier notification of acceptance than the official date.

  • [patterns-discussion] [CfP] 2nd European Lisp & Scheme Workshop, Pascal Costanza, 03/30/2005