patterns-discussion - RE: RE : [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation

Subject: General talk about software patterns

RE: RE : [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation

  • From: "Hanmer, Robert S (Bob)" <hanmer AT lucent.com>
  • To: patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: RE: RE : [patterns-discussion] Using Design Patterns without dynamic memoryallocation
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:57:18 -0600

All, ... following up on both threads out there today

Bruce Douglass has two books that have a good assortment of patterns in them.
There's some duplication but the patterns are quite good for what they are
aimed at.

There are a number of people actively working on patterns for the real-time,
embedded space. Not everyone has a GOF-shaped set of reading glasses.

Some examples:
Michael Pont's "Patterns for Time-triggered Embedded Systems". I believe
this to be much more general than someone who strictly reads the cover blurb
would think.
Bruce Powell Douglass's books on Real Time.
The TelePLoP group has been working to pull together patterns from non-object
spaces -- Linda Rising's "Design Patterns in Communications Software", and
Greg Utas' "Robust Communication Software" (it doesn't contain patterns in a
pattern form, but the knowledge is there)
The Distributed, Real-Time & Embedded group that Chris Gill is part of has
been real active lately.
"Small Memory Systems" by Noble and Weir
and more!

These are just some of the examples.

As Linda said, many people have been turned off patterns because they didn't
see that the GOF patterns applied to them ... don't become a statistic!

Bob Hanmer