patterns-discussion - [patterns-discussion] A Generative Theory of Similarity (with references to Alexander)

Subject: General talk about software patterns

[patterns-discussion] A Generative Theory of Similarity (with references to Alexander)

  • From: "Mike Beedle" <beedlem AT e-architects.com>
  • To: <patterns-discussion AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [patterns-discussion] A Generative Theory of Similarity (with references to Alexander)
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:23:58 -0600

All,

I was looking for “colored strings” in Google, because I was wondering if apart from the conventional fermionic degrees of freedom, or Chan-Paton factors, someone had attempted to add QCD-like colors to superstrings.  (I am pursuing Physics again, this time a little more seriously – I am doing String Theory at the University of Chicago these days!)

Well, I ran into some “colored strings” in Physics for example:

An Attempt to Study Pentaquark Baryons in String Theory

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0404/0404019.pdf

Signature Studies of Cosmic Magnetic Monopoles

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0102/0102002.pdf

            etc.

that weren’t exactly what I was looking for, but were nevertheless very interesting – no doubt there are interesting patterns in the subjects discussed above!

But… I ran into some other “colored strings” that are related to the patterns that may be of more interest to this crowd in:

A Generative Theory of Similarity

http://web.mit.edu/~ckemp/www/papers/KempBT05.pdf

It is essentially a theory of perceived similarity with logarithmic correlation functions but that uses a generative approach (a combination of traditional pattern matching and generative pattern analysis.)

The first reference of the author is …. Alexander, but are followed by Chomsky, Feldman, etc. and even Wolfram.  (I will email the author to make him aware of Grenander’s “General Pattern Theory” as well.)

Lastly, I also ran into this blog that discusses “colored strings” in an entirely more historical context:

http://mavenyavin.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_mavenyavin_archive.html

Well, that’s all I had for strings and patterns.

Happy Valentine’s day!!!

May your lives be useful to find all the wonderful patterns around you, in whatever subject you happen to study!

- Mike